At Mums' Haven, we strongly encourage mothers to choose a natural birth as their "Plan A" in childbirth. This is because natural birthing includes a unique hormonal process that helps the infant and mother bond and breastfeed better after the birth. In addition, all medications carry risks that can potentially be harmful and usually cause the need for more interventions in labor (such as IV, catheter, breaking your waters, pitocin etc). However, for some women choosing a medicated birth is still the best option for them. For these women, we work to continue providing gentle care and to create a birthing environment that feels sensitive and encouraging.
Some services we offer to medicated birth clients include:
- Epidural analgesia (so that you can remain awake and aware during the birth).
- Your family and your friends are welcome to attend the birth
- No surgical interference/episiotomy (cut in birth)
- Optimal/delayed cord clamping.
- Skin to skin bonding and baby allowed to breastfeed right after birth.
- Pediatrician can check baby in your arms after the birth.